Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net

Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net (/)
-   Nutrition (http://www.bodybuilding.net/nutrition/)
-   -   calories (http://www.bodybuilding.net/nutrition/calories-6032.html)

TALO 05-11-2007 10:48 AM

calories
 
I was just wondering how many calories does the average person burn in a day ? Not including cardio or weights.

Just plain old walking around, eating, cleaning, you know the normal everyday stuff.

TALO 05-11-2007 07:47 PM

I know this is a stupid question, but I ask because; lets say a person burns 500 calories during a bike ride or on the treadmill. If they are eating 3500 cals, then that must mean that during the day they are burning over 3000 calories by doing nothing....Is this right??

EricT 05-13-2007 08:19 AM

Heres a big calorie calculator. Obvioulsy we can't expect this to be exactly acurate but it will give an idea of an approximate ball-park kind of thing. It's only taking into account weight so....

http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/...e/calculat.htm

TALO 05-13-2007 08:31 AM

WOW, thanks Eric. I think a person can totally figure out what they burn with this.

Just wondering if a person weights X lbs then for Duration would you put in the number of hrs your awake ? Then pick it apart from that.

phreaknite 05-13-2007 10:31 PM

Don't fall into the trap of taking those numbers too literally...

There are several calculators to calculate your calorie counts per day that work on several formulas. The more information, the more accurate it will be. One that uses just your body weight will give you a ball-park for sure but don't take that number as truth...

Remember, everyone is different.....you can notice this anywhere.....the best way to get a feeling for your total caloric needs is to log your diet down to the letter and see where you maintain weight over a few months. If you maintain at around the same caloric intake thats how many calories you need...to bump up your weight increase that amount by as much as 20%...

probably not what u wanted to hear......everyeone likes a little calculator to do things 1-2-3 but quality takes time my friend...

just my advice...

TALO 05-14-2007 07:38 AM

Thanks man, I do realize that calories in = calories out. I've done it all before.Counted, added, subtracted, up down up down... But it is nice to see how some of these places come up with there numbers.For quick reference of course.

texasmax 05-15-2007 06:29 PM

At my gym, I paid $40 last year for a Resting Metabolic Rate test- showed up in the morning without having eaten, exercised, or expended any sort of serious energy. I clipped my nose off and breather into a device hooked up to a PC that measures oxygen burn rate and whatever else it captures. After a 10-15 minute seated and resting baseline period, the actual test took another 10-15 minutes.

Anyway, long story short, it came up with 1,410 calories/day, doing nothing but living and breathing. I'm 5'8", 165lbs, and 31 at the time (and before I had any muscle on me at all). Online calculators put me in the 1,500-1,600/day range.

Fireproof 08-19-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TALO (Post 35022)
I know this is a stupid question, but I ask because; lets say a person burns 500 calories during a bike ride or on the treadmill. If they are eating 3500 cals, then that must mean that during the day they are burning over 3000 calories by doing nothing....Is this right??

It's sometimes helpful to think about all the elements that contribute to total energy expenditure. They can typically be bucketed into four main categories and expressed by the following formula:

Total Energy Expenditure = BMR + TEA + TEF + NEAT

1. BMR = basal metabolic rate
2. TEA = thermic effect of activity
3. TEF = thermic effect of food
4. NEAT = non-exercise activity thermogenisis

1 is calories burned at rest (just living)
2 is calories burned during exercise
3 is calories burned in processing the food that you eat
4 is calories burned through all daily activity that is NOT exercise

The reason that's important is that many people think that anything "non-exercise" is their BMR, but that's not true, although the thermic effect of food is quite small, just walking around "awake", doing a deskjob, etc, does add up over the course of the day.

But theoretically, if a person is eating 3500 cals per day and MAINTAINING weight, and exercise contributes to 500 calories burned, then BMR + TEF + NEAT has to be equal to 3000, else they'd either be losing or gaining weight.

Fireproof 08-19-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasmax (Post 35178)
At my gym, I paid $40 last year for a Resting Metabolic Rate test- showed up in the morning without having eaten, exercised, or expended any sort of serious energy. I clipped my nose off and breather into a device hooked up to a PC that measures oxygen burn rate and whatever else it captures. After a 10-15 minute seated and resting baseline period, the actual test took another 10-15 minutes.

Anyway, long story short, it came up with 1,410 calories/day, doing nothing but living and breathing. I'm 5'8", 165lbs, and 31 at the time (and before I had any muscle on me at all). Online calculators put me in the 1,500-1,600/day range.

Sorry to bump an old thread - but I noticed you are in the Dallas area, and I've been considering doing a RMR test like that just to see what it shows. Can you tell me where you got yours done?

Thanks.

IronKitten 08-19-2007 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireproof (Post 39946)
Sorry to bump an old thread - but I noticed you are in the Dallas area, and I've been considering doing a RMR test like that just to see what it shows. Can you tell me where you got yours done?

Thanks.

I'd say check out Lifetime Fitness. Not sure what part of Dallas you're in, but the branch I used to go to was in Colleyville.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.