Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net

Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net (/)
-   Supplements (http://www.bodybuilding.net/supplements/)
-   -   is creatine with milk ok ? (http://www.bodybuilding.net/supplements/is-creatine-with-milk-ok-824.html)

scheme 07-25-2005 11:38 AM

is creatine with milk ok ?
 
im new here so sry if this question was already asked
i tried searching but i wasnt sure how to do it

i know creatine is usually taken with juice or water
but is it ok to take it with milk ?

Darkhorse 07-25-2005 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheme
im new here so sry if this question was already asked
i tried searching but i wasnt sure how to do it

i know creatine is usually taken with juice or water
but is it ok to take it with milk ?

No.

BTW, how old are you?

WantingMuscle7 07-25-2005 03:56 PM

Can I ask why its not ok? lol ive been taking it with my shake (milk).

Dr X 07-25-2005 04:05 PM

While commonly taken with juice I donít see any problem taking it with milk. Milk is loaded with sugar anyway.
0311 could you enlighten me as to why you think creatine is not good with Milk?

WantingMuscle7 07-25-2005 04:57 PM

Also im taking the pills if that would matter I figured they could be taken with anything.

Darkhorse 07-26-2005 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr X
While commonly taken with juice I donít see any problem taking it with milk. Milk is loaded with sugar anyway.
0311 could you enlighten me as to why you think creatine is not good with Milk?

Milk has only 12-15 grams of sugar depending on whether it's whole or reduced fat. Milk also takes longer to digest than juice would. Going off of that train of thought, it's accepted that creatine isn't stable in liquid for extended periods of time due to it's low ph. We also know that regular creatine needs a transport module. Optimally it's sugar/dextrose because sugar can also cause an insulin spike to provide further utilization of the creatine. Alot of companies are putting like 2 grams in with their weight gainer shakes to sucker in some people who are like, "Wow, it also has creatine in it what a bargain." (mass-tech) What the hell is 2 grams of creatine mono going to do?

Personally, I'd rather put it in grape juice or something that has alot of dextrose. I tried putting it in my weightgainer shake for over a month and didn't get the same effect as when I put it in a cup of juice.

Dr.X, I know you have years and years of knowledge than me, so why do you think this way of thinking is flawed? :confused:

Darkhorse 07-26-2005 05:20 AM

Also, the question was if taking it with ONLY milk is ok or not. I personally believe it's probably ok, but way more effective in juice/dextrose mixture. WantingMuscle, taking it with a protein shake/milk is fine because it'll have more sugar and carbs for the uptake.

Dr X 07-26-2005 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0311
Milk has only 12-15 grams of sugar depending on whether it's whole or reduced fat. Milk also takes longer to digest than juice would. Going off of that train of thought, it's accepted that creatine isn't stable in liquid for extended periods of time due to it's low ph. We also know that regular creatine needs a transport module. Optimally it's sugar/dextrose because sugar can also cause an insulin spike to provide further utilization of the creatine. Alot of companies are putting like 2 grams in with their weight gainer shakes to sucker in some people who are like, "Wow, it also has creatine in it what a bargain." (mass-tech) What the hell is 2 grams of creatine mono going to do?

Personally, I'd rather put it in grape juice or something that has alot of dextrose. I tried putting it in my weightgainer shake for over a month and didn't get the same effect as when I put it in a cup of juice.

Dr.X, I know you have years and years of knowledge than me, so why do you think this way of thinking is flawed? :confused:

0311, thanks for your post. I was in no way saying your way or this way of thinking was flawed. I was referring to the question is creatine ok with milk. While I completely agree with what you said and as I stated it is optimal to drink with juice I believe you still can drink with milk however at least 2 cups would be beneficial. As for the slow digesting it would be in my opinion that the protein would be slow digesting and not the sugar/creatine in the milk. I personally am not a big fan of milk in the first place and always use dextrose/maltodex and may drink milk separately if I feel I could use a few extra calories. Creatine is optimal in your PWO shake. You did make another valid observation about creatine not being stable in liquid for extended periods. I wouldnít suggest to anyone that they put creatine in a shake of some kind and let it sit for hours as creatine has a tendency to breakdown. So in my opinion can you take creatine with milk, yes you can. Is it optimal, no itís not.

O and another thing, As you, I crack up at the claims of companies adding creatine to their shakes. Marketing tool for the naÔve.

WantingMuscle7 07-26-2005 08:53 AM

So then would water be the worst thing you can take it with because theres no sugar?

Dr X 07-26-2005 09:02 AM

Water would be a waste of creatine. Think sugar when taking creatine.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.