Go Back   Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net > Bodybuilding Forum > Training

I am a \Please help a beginner with my routine

Training discussion on I am a \Please help a beginner with my routine, within the Bodybuilding Forum; I read the articles on routines and bulking and increasing strength and they were very informative but I'm still confused ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
RileyMartin
Rank: Member
Experience: > 1 Year
 
RileyMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 106
Country:

Gender:
Default I am a \Please help a beginner with my routine

I read the articles on routines and bulking and increasing strength and they were very informative but I'm still confused and think I'm making some mistakes. Also, I've only been lifting for a little over one month so I wasn't sure if some of it didn't apply to me being a beginner. I was hoping I could get some input on what I might be doing right and what I'm doing wrong and what I should change.

Here is my routine:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders Triceps
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Biceps & Back
Day 4: Rest
Then back to day 1 and repeat.

Here are some sample workouts:

Chest, shoulders, triceps:
*******************
BENCH PRESS - Sometimes I do four sets
-------------
225lbs. - 6 reps
200lbs. - 8 reps
185lbs. - 8 reps

INCLINE BENCH PRESS - Sometimes I do four sets
---------------------
135lbs. - 9 reps
135lbs. - 6 reps
100lbs. - 12 reps

MILITARY PRESS
----------------
100lbs. - 8 reps
100lbs. - 7 reps
85lbs. - 10 reps

DUMBELL LAT RAISES
--------------------
10lbs. - 12 reps
10lbs. - 10 reps
10lbs. - 11 reps

BENT OVER DUMBELL LAT RAISES
--------------------------------
5lbs. - 16 reps
5lbs. - 16 reps

DUMBELL SHOULDER SHRUGS
---------------------------
25lbs. - 30 reps
25lbs. - 25 reps

LEGS
****
SQUATS
--------
185lbs. - 10 reps
185lbs. - 10 reps
185lbs. - 10 reps

LEG EXTENSIONS
----------------
25lbs. - 10 reps
25lbs. - 12 reps
25lbs. - 10 reps

LYING LEG CURLS
----------------
25lbs. - 20 reps
35lbs. - 16 reps
45lbs. - 12 reps


Biceps & Back
**********
BARBELL CURLS
---------------
75lbs. - 12 reps
95lbs. - 2 reps
85lbs. - 5 reps
75lbs. - 7 reps

DUMBELL CURLS
---------------
25lbs. - 10 reps
25lbs. - 10 reps

DUMBELL HAMMER CURLS
------------------------
25lbs. - 12 reps
25lbs. - 8 reps

LAT PULLDOWNS
----------------
90lbs. - 13 reps
100lbs. - 6 reps
80lbs. - 12 reps
80lbs. - 16 reps

BENT OVER BARBELL ROWS
--------------------------
95lbs. - 13 reps
95lbs. - 12 reps
95lbs. - 12 reps

I usually do all my sets to failure and I'm not sure if that's right. I often start out doing the heaviest weights for my first set and then lower them to keep the reps up. Sometimes I just keep the weight constant for a constant number of reps to get a good burn/pump. Other times I'll increase the weight for set #2 and then decrease it for set #3. Not sure if any of that is good or not or if I should just be doing it one way. I read about progressively increasing the weights per set but if I do that would I still do each set to failure or would I stop a few reps short of failure so I would still be able to lift a heavier weight with the next set and get a good number of reps? From what I read it seems a 'good' number of reps is 8 with one or two 'finishing' sets of around 12 to 20 reps to get a pump. Is that correct?

I started to doing regular deadlifts as part of my back workout however I really felt it in my legs so I stopped because it felt more like a leg exercise rather than a back exercise. I didn't want to do straight leg deadlifts because they sounded like they were bad for the back. I thought about adding the regular deadlifts to my leg routine but thought it might interfere with recovery from my biceps & back routine since it works the back as well.

I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can provide as I would like to put an end to any mistakes I am making sooner rather than later. Thanks.
RileyMartin is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Pitysister
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: > 1 Year
 
Pitysister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,221
Country:

Gender:
Default

deadlifts are the best exercise on the planet....get them in there somewhere i feel it all throughout my back....upper to lower...is your form correct?

Pitysister's Sig:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
Pitysister is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
RileyMartin
Rank: Member
Experience: > 1 Year
 
RileyMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 106
Country:

Gender:
Default

I believe so. I keep my legs about shoulder width apart or a little wider. I grip the bar just outside my knees. I look up/forward when lifting. I first drive with my legs and only really use my back as I straighten up to a standing position. I keep the bar close against my body as I lift. When I go heavy I like to put one hand facing forward and one hand facing back.
RileyMartin is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
trhodizz
Rank: New Member
Experience: 2-3 Years
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 22
Country:

Gender:
Default

damn man, you're pretty strong for lifting for only a month. looks like a solid routine, but pitysister is right, you need to get deadlifts in there somewhere. best exercise ever.
trhodizz is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Kane
Rank: Middleweight
Experience: 3-5 Years
 
Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,238
Country:

Gender:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyMartin View Post
Day 1: Chest, Shoulders Triceps
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Biceps & Back
Day 4: Rest
Then back to day 1 and repeat.
6 days a week is way too much. You could get away doing this workout mon, wed, fri. Get rid of that repeat and put a rest day between workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyMartin View Post
Here are some sample workouts:

Chest, shoulders, triceps:
*******************
BENCH PRESS - Sometimes I do four sets
-------------
225lbs. - 6 reps
200lbs. - 8 reps
185lbs. - 8 reps

INCLINE BENCH PRESS - Sometimes I do four sets
---------------------
135lbs. - 9 reps
135lbs. - 6 reps
100lbs. - 12 reps

MILITARY PRESS
----------------
100lbs. - 8 reps
100lbs. - 7 reps
85lbs. - 10 reps

DUMBELL LAT RAISES
--------------------
10lbs. - 12 reps
10lbs. - 10 reps
10lbs. - 11 reps

BENT OVER DUMBELL LAT RAISES
--------------------------------
5lbs. - 16 reps
5lbs. - 16 reps

DUMBELL SHOULDER SHRUGS
---------------------------
25lbs. - 30 reps
25lbs. - 25 reps

LEGS
****
SQUATS
--------
185lbs. - 10 reps
185lbs. - 10 reps
185lbs. - 10 reps

LEG EXTENSIONS
----------------
25lbs. - 10 reps
25lbs. - 12 reps
25lbs. - 10 reps

LYING LEG CURLS
----------------
25lbs. - 20 reps
35lbs. - 16 reps
45lbs. - 12 reps


Biceps & Back
**********
BARBELL CURLS
---------------
75lbs. - 12 reps
95lbs. - 2 reps
85lbs. - 5 reps
75lbs. - 7 reps

DUMBELL CURLS
---------------
25lbs. - 10 reps
25lbs. - 10 reps

DUMBELL HAMMER CURLS
------------------------
25lbs. - 12 reps
25lbs. - 8 reps

LAT PULLDOWNS
----------------
90lbs. - 13 reps
100lbs. - 6 reps
80lbs. - 12 reps
80lbs. - 16 reps

BENT OVER BARBELL ROWS
--------------------------
95lbs. - 13 reps
95lbs. - 12 reps
95lbs. - 12 reps
.
Everything looked not bad until Bicep and Back day. 3 bicep exercises before you even remotely hit your back. It should be the other way around. Plus your intensity is all over the map, BB Curls went from 12 reps to a 2 rep max, back to 5 reps and then 7 reps using the weight from set 1. I would suggest you use a weight that increases your intensity as your sets increase (ie. lowest reps and heaviest weight are done as last set in the exercies).

I'm also curious as to why Biceps get so much attention, yet triceps have nothing specific in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyMartin View Post
I usually do all my sets to failure and I'm not sure if that's right. I often start out doing the heaviest weights for my first set and then lower them to keep the reps up. Sometimes I just keep the weight constant for a constant number of reps to get a good burn/pump. Other times I'll increase the weight for set #2 and then decrease it for set #3. Not sure if any of that is good or not or if I should just be doing it one way. I read about progressively increasing the weights per set but if I do that would I still do each set to failure or would I stop a few reps short of failure so I would still be able to lift a heavier weight with the next set and get a good number of reps? From what I read it seems a 'good' number of reps is 8 with one or two 'finishing' sets of around 12 to 20 reps to get a pump. Is that correct?

I started to doing regular deadlifts as part of my back workout however I really felt it in my legs so I stopped because it felt more like a leg exercise rather than a back exercise. I didn't want to do straight leg deadlifts because they sounded like they were bad for the back. I thought about adding the regular deadlifts to my leg routine but thought it might interfere with recovery from my biceps & back routine since it works the back as well.

I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can provide as I would like to put an end to any mistakes I am making sooner rather than later. Thanks.
I answered some of this earlier because I was posting my thoughts as I went along.

Training to failure on all exercises is not a good idea at all, especially since you're going 6 times a week. You're going to burnout or stall in no time. You should also keep about 1-2 reps 'in the tank' for each set. Meaning that you should be able to do 6 reps for a 5 rep set.

A good piece of advice is to ignore how you feel during the workout. Just because you feel a good pump or a good burn it doesn't necessarily mean you created an environment for maximum muscle growth. It is a useful tool but it should not be used to gauge the effectiveness of your workout. With that in mind, the idea of a 'kill set' or a couple sets of 12-20 reps is not a good idea. IMO it is a rediculous idea if you're trying to bulk up.

I would definitely put deadlifts in your routine. They're a great exercise for the whole body. Keep your reps under 8 though, prefereably around 3-6. You should be feeling them in your legs, afterall you're driving the weight up with your legs as well as your back. IME when people starting out say they feel them all in their back it means that their legs and hips are not in synch and their back is rounded. Make sure that everything is in the right position when you reach the top and bottom of the movement. When you're legs stop moving everything else should as well, its a very fluid movement.

I know my response is fairly lengthy but I hope I addressed everything. I'm sure someone else may catch something I've missed. It's also a bit chaotic since I was thinking of so many things to say all at once. I'm also guessing some of the articles you read were from a muscle mag...Don't use those as your bible.

Kane's Sig:"Pain don't hurt" - Dalton

"NO, this is my squat rack. Go get your own!"

"Damn that's shit heavy" - Wolf


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kane is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
RileyMartin
Rank: Member
Experience: > 1 Year
 
RileyMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 106
Country:

Gender:
Default Thank you!

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to read my long post and answer so many of my questions. I figured I had it all wrong and was probably just spinning my wheels and going nowhere fast. I really appreciate it.

I had a question about one thing you said. When you said I should take a rest after each day lifting, did you mean this?

DAY 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
DAY 2: Rest
DAY 3: Legs
DAY 4: Rest
DAY 5: Back and Biceps
DAY 6: REST
DAY 7: Back to DAY1 with Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
etc.

Thanks again!
RileyMartin is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
Kane
Rank: Middleweight
Experience: 3-5 Years
 
Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,238
Country:

Gender:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyMartin View Post
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to read my long post and answer so many of my questions. I figured I had it all wrong and was probably just spinning my wheels and going nowhere fast. I really appreciate it.

I had a question about one thing you said. When you said I should take a rest after each day lifting, did you mean this?

DAY 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
DAY 2: Rest
DAY 3: Legs
DAY 4: Rest
DAY 5: Back and Biceps
DAY 6: REST
DAY 7: Back to DAY1 with Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
etc.

Thanks again!
You're Welcome. What I meant by the rest time is close to what you have there, just a slight change.

DAY 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
DAY 2: Rest
DAY 3: Legs
DAY 4: Rest
DAY 5: Back and Biceps
DAY 6: REST
DAY 7: REST

Day 7 is also a rest day. This way you have 2 full days to recover, and you're doing the full routine once a week. It will be alot easier to plan things as well as progress if you do it this way, IME anyway.
Kane is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
RileyMartin
Rank: Member
Experience: > 1 Year
 
RileyMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 106
Country:

Gender:
Default

Thanks again for your help. I had no idea I had to rest so much inbetween workouts. I'm definately going to make the changes you recommended.
RileyMartin is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
Pitysister
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: > 1 Year
 
Pitysister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,221
Country:

Gender:
Default

rest is important....took me awhile to get used to it at first....i was the classic overtrainer....i felt useless taking the whole weekend off...it was a foreign concept. definitely helps with the progress though. but i was never doing many compound movements...i only do heavy squats twice a week....and deadlifts once a week otherwise...i'm dead.
Pitysister is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Kane
Rank: Middleweight
Experience: 3-5 Years
 
Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,238
Country:

Gender:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyMartin View Post
Thanks again for your help. I had no idea I had to rest so much inbetween workouts. I'm definately going to make the changes you recommended.
Just remember, you don't grow in the gym.
Kane is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net > Bodybuilding Forum > Training


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.