Go Back   Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net > Bodybuilding Forum > Training

What am i doing wrong?

Training discussion on What am i doing wrong?, within the Bodybuilding Forum; im 22, weigh 195.5 USED to weigh 170 back when i was 16-17, but then college food courts and constant ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
neverdoubtme
Rank: New Member
Experience: 3-5 Years
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: south amboy, nj
Posts: 17
Country:

Gender:
Send a message via AIM to neverdoubtme
Default What am i doing wrong?

im 22, weigh 195.5
USED to weigh 170 back when i was 16-17, but then college food courts and constant studying until 3am killed my metabolism and way of life lol

for the last 9 months ive been following a "dvd" workout so i can start losing weight again slowly while still focusing on school
DVDs DO NOT HELP
i got lazy, didnt want to walk downstairs and start my workout in a cramped, low ceiling, extra room in the house... so i joined a gym finally last month to help me get back in shape and lose some weight

i followed the workout regimen the trainer gave me
consists of:
chest press, shoulder press, bicep curls, leg press, leg extensions, "ab/oblique" machine (cant remember the name), tricep pull down, and lat pull downs
takes me roughly about 45mins to complete all the workouts and then i follow up with a 45min walk/jog (3-3.5mph @ 15% incline)

after the workout, i take a protein shake consisting of about 45g protein, 280cal, and 8g fat

i go up and down in weight from 189-195.5... im tired of it and just want to go down to 170

any sugguestions?
im up for anything
neverdoubtme is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
iron_worker
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
iron_worker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,272
Country:

Gender:
Send a message via MSN to iron_worker
Default

What does the rest of your diet look like? You should have lots and lots of lean protein coming from as much real food as possible. Some good potential lean protein sources:

chicken breasts
Egg Whites
Tuna
Salmon (not quite as lean as tuna but still fairly good)
lean ground beef
lean cut of steak

You should be eating stuff like that with every meal and lots of greens like spinach, lettuce, brocolli, celery. etc

You can have carbs too but for losing weight they should really be kept to a minimum. I found if I had 2 carb meals a day it worked for me. They should be whole grain products or yams etc. Complex carbs not things like simple sugars and white bread.

You should be eating as many times a day as you can. I find ever 2-3 hours is best. try to get in a minimum of 5 small meals per day. The more the better. There is a calorie maintenance level calculator somewhere on this site (someone can point you in the right direction). I would figure out your maintenance level and then shoot for 100-200cals below that. If your weight doesn't go down then drop it another 100-200cals. Weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day for good repeatability. Don't weigh yourself everyday because weight does fluctuate with water retention etc.

Oh ya, drink lots of water.

As far as your exercises I would be focusing alot more on lower body. Especially the big compounds such as squats and deadlifts. These are the lifts that will get your metabolism into high gear.

There are plenty of articles on "how to cut" and whatnot around here but I would focus more on just eating healthy foods and not get that extreme just yet.

Thats my 2 cents.

IronWorker
iron_worker is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
BG5150
Rank: Bantamweight
 
BG5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 873
Country:

Gender:
Send a message via AIM to BG5150
Default

You lose weight by expending more calories than you ingest. That said, more lean muscle mass will increase the metabolism to help keep fat off and eat up the fat you have.

However, it is very difficult to add lean muscle mass and lose fat at the same time.

If you want to lose fat, I would suggest a good lifting routine doing mainly compound movements with some isolation work. And also incorporating High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to help you lose the fat.

BG5150's Sig:There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Feel free to stop by and comment.

BG5150 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Ross86
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: > 1 Year
 
Ross86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,268
Country:

Gender:
Send a message via AIM to Ross86
Default

Read the stickies. All the info you need is already posted. If you can't find something, then ask and you'll get plenty of advice.

Ross86's Sig:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ross86 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
_Wolf_
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
_Wolf_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,790
Country:

Gender:
Send a message via MSN to _Wolf_
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross86 View Post
Read the stickies. All the info you need is already posted. If you can't find something, then ask and you'll get plenty of advice.
^^^ what he said.

oh, and your program doesnt look good. Too much machine work IMO. oh, and you arent squatting or deadlifting.
_Wolf_ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
neverdoubtme
Rank: New Member
Experience: 3-5 Years
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: south amboy, nj
Posts: 17
Country:

Gender:
Send a message via AIM to neverdoubtme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_worker View Post
What does the rest of your diet look like? You should have lots and lots of lean protein coming from as much real food as possible. Some good potential lean protein sources:

chicken breasts
Egg Whites
Tuna
Salmon (not quite as lean as tuna but still fairly good)
lean ground beef
lean cut of steak

You should be eating stuff like that with every meal and lots of greens like spinach, lettuce, brocolli, celery. etc

You can have carbs too but for losing weight they should really be kept to a minimum. I found if I had 2 carb meals a day it worked for me. They should be whole grain products or yams etc. Complex carbs not things like simple sugars and white bread.

You should be eating as many times a day as you can. I find ever 2-3 hours is best. try to get in a minimum of 5 small meals per day. The more the better. There is a calorie maintenance level calculator somewhere on this site (someone can point you in the right direction). I would figure out your maintenance level and then shoot for 100-200cals below that. If your weight doesn't go down then drop it another 100-200cals. Weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day for good repeatability. Don't weigh yourself everyday because weight does fluctuate with water retention etc.

Oh ya, drink lots of water.

As far as your exercises I would be focusing alot more on lower body. Especially the big compounds such as squats and deadlifts. These are the lifts that will get your metabolism into high gear.

There are plenty of articles on "how to cut" and whatnot around here but I would focus more on just eating healthy foods and not get that extreme just yet.

Thats my 2 cents.

IronWorker
i actually do eat alot of lean proteins, which confuses why i dont lose weight easily
on a simple day (weekday), im eating 4 egg whites on toasted whole wheat sliced bread and maybe 1/4lb chicken diced into the mix
bout 4 hours later im having a small protein shake (max 20g protein) with a small salad sometimes
then having a lunch usually consisting of a turkey sandwich with mustard on wheat, 2-3hrs later having another protein shake, and usually finishing off dinner with a peice of lean chicken breast with a mix of organic veggies (green beans, corn, peas, yellow squash)

dinner is usually around 7/8 whenevr i get home from the gym

and my workouts normally consist of working out every other day, but doing a 50min uphill cardio on the tredmill (mon-fri)
saturdays and sundays i usually work 6am-4pm and unless i get some hidden energy burst, im usually home or going out with friends

one thing i never paid attention to tho, and reminded me here today, was the fluxuation of water weight
i do weigh myself almost everyday, sometimes 2x a day
but ill change that to maybe tuesday mornings right after i wake up and def before breakfast (like i did today)



-about the lower body workouts
i told my trainer i wanted to LOSE some of my leg muscles
so he put me on a simple workout of leg extensions and leg press with a low weight and high reps.. back in high school i weighed 170 but was able to easily leg press 900lbs ...nowadays, big legs arent working out for me and so i started a high rep/low weight regimen to hopefully tone and lose some of the muscle

my basic outcome of working out is to get back into shape, lose some weight, get that 6 pack ive always wanted, and become somewhat cut

currently 195lbs, 22% fat, 52% water
want to be at 170 with a decent 13-16% body fat before school starts again in september
opinions?
neverdoubtme is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
neverdoubtme
Rank: New Member
Experience: 3-5 Years
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: south amboy, nj
Posts: 17
Country:

Gender:
Send a message via AIM to neverdoubtme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
You lose weight by expending more calories than you ingest. That said, more lean muscle mass will increase the metabolism to help keep fat off and eat up the fat you have.

However, it is very difficult to add lean muscle mass and lose fat at the same time.

If you want to lose fat, I would suggest a good lifting routine doing mainly compound movements with some isolation work. And also incorporating High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to help you lose the fat.
if im in it to lose fat, im going to end up losing alot of strength and muscle mass with it, correct?
as long as i can get back to 170ish, ill be happy... ill work on muscle mass when i get there then... whats the HIIT consist of?
neverdoubtme is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Ross86
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: > 1 Year
 
Ross86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,268
Country:

Gender:
Send a message via AIM to Ross86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoubtme View Post
-about the lower body workouts
i told my trainer i wanted to LOSE some of my leg muscles
so he put me on a simple workout of leg extensions and leg press with a low weight and high reps..
Ross86 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Pitysister
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: > 1 Year
 
Pitysister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,221
Country:

Gender:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoubtme View Post
if im in it to lose fat, im going to end up losing alot of strength and muscle mass with it, correct?
that depends on your diet...and your workout.
Pitysister is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
RobS
Rank: Member
Experience: 3-5 Years
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 116
Country:

Gender:
Default

why would the trainer want you to LOSE leg muscle??????
RobS is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net > Bodybuilding Forum > Training

« roman chairs | abs? »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.