Go Back   Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net > Members Section > Personal Journals

Strength and Endurance for the Fighter in me.

Personal Journals discussion on Strength and Endurance for the Fighter in me., within the Members Section; Well after being on the side lines for almost a month I'm getting back into it and starting my training ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
ChinPieceDave667
Rank: Middleweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
ChinPieceDave667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 7th layer.. or DC.
Posts: 2,329
Country:

Gender:
Default Strength and Endurance for the Fighter in me.

Well after being on the side lines for almost a month I'm getting back into it and starting my training for Grappling, Muay Thai, and MMA competitions.

As you may or may not know, I compete in BJJ and I'm looking to try MMA within the year or at least Muay Thai. To do this I need to get my strength back up to were it was when I was 5x5ing it hardcore and get my endurance and conditioning waaaay up.

Thus far my strength gains have taken to the side lines to make way for my conditioning to get to a moderate - good standings so I'm not huffing it after 15 mins of sparring in BJJ.

My goals are to try to keep and increase strength and endurance at the relative same time. If you , look here you'll see the program me and several of the other members have helped me come up with, 0311, Eric, and hdgainer, with some good insight and other knowledge to set a pace for moving both strength and endurance/conditioning up, props to them.

It looks something like this:
- 2 weeks dual factor 5x5 (volume)
- 2 weeks dual factor 3x3 (intensity)
- 2 weeks SE;
- 2 weeks complexes/pylos; 2-3 CO/PY workouts, 2 ME per week
- 1 week deload
* reset

I'm not looking to beat new maxes every time but I would like to see increases, small or large, in all areas.

DISCLAIMER
THIS IS NOT WRITTEN IN STONE.

aaahh. Now that I got that off my chest here is what I mean.
If I have a competition in anything, I'm not going to be worrying about my strength 2-3 weeks out before my matches, I'm going to be working on conditioning and techniques strictly, with some cutting so I can make the weight I want. On top of that I've never done these cycles like this, so I don't know what to expect. At one point I might say, "This is not enough or this is too much and I can't deal with the work load on top of MMA training." On top of that my Complexes and plyo weeks are going to be very experimental for one day I'll do complexes with a barbell and the next day I'll be doing kettlebell work or using sandbags so nothing is concrete right now.

Speaking about weight, My weight now is about 211lbs. @ about 14%. I'm looking to be at a around 195-200lbs at close to 6-10% body fat. So my diet will fluctuate depending on what workout cycle I'm on and how close I am to a competition. So I will also keep you updated on that as closely as I can. My caloric intake will be anywhere from 3000-4200 mostly with a ratio of 35-40% pro/ 40-45% carbs/ 15-25% fat. On days I do both my workout and MMA training the carbs and fat will be higher. On my rest days the pro will be higher and carbs and fat lower.

As for my MMA training days I train anywhere from 2-3 hours, 2-5 times a week. My training is a lot of plyometrics, drilling techniques and for now sparing in my grappling class. I have to wait for tryouts to get on the sparing team for muay thai, so when that comes I'll be switching things around.

Let the games begin.

Last edited by ChinPieceDave667; 03-22-2007 at 11:23 AM..

ChinPieceDave667's Sig:Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present.

MONSTER: My Strength Endurance Journal, Part 2: The Strength Endurance Journal Returns <--NEW

BULKING: My 5X5 Journal

CUTTING: My CKD Max-OT Journal, My HST Cutting Journal


ChinPieceDave667 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
ChinPieceDave667
Rank: Middleweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
ChinPieceDave667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 7th layer.. or DC.
Posts: 2,329
Country:

Gender:
Default Suppliments.

I will be taking:

Citrulline Malate: ~3 grams before working out and during MMA trainging.

Creatine Ethyl Ester: ~2 grams before working out and during MMA trainging.

Beta-Alanine: ~2 grams after working out or MMA

Pure Vitargo

Multi- Vitamin

Extra Vitamin C & B complex

Joint Solutions (Clucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM)

BCAA

and other for cutting when that time comes around.
ChinPieceDave667 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
_Wolf_
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
_Wolf_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,790
Country:

Gender:
Send a message via MSN to _Wolf_
Default

DUDE!!!!!!!!!! its been so long since uve started a journal!! im subscribed and i wish u best of luck bro
_Wolf_ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
hrdgain81
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
hrdgain81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,715

Default

oh I cant wait for this, I will most likely follow suit in a few months Dave, but i'll let you work out all the bugs first

hrdgain81's Sig:I don't do this for my family, my friends, women, accolades, pride, or ego. I do it for me and no one else, its just part of who I am.
hrdgain81 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
ChinPieceDave667
Rank: Middleweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
ChinPieceDave667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 7th layer.. or DC.
Posts: 2,329
Country:

Gender:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdgain81
oh I cant wait for this, I will most likely follow suit in a few months Dave, but i'll let you work out all the bugs first
Oh and there were and are some bugs. Just as a preview, I did try 1 of the Strength Endurance workouts a week ago and I overshot my starting weight A LOT. I didn't hurt myself it was just very different than other lifts I've done. Doing 20 singles with 50 secs. rest of Clean and Press then 20 singles with 50 secs. rest of A2G squats is a pain very different than what I was use to. I had to adjust the Clean weight once and the squat weight 4 times. And Kettlebell has been kicking my ass hard.
ChinPieceDave667 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
TALO
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
TALO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta , Canada
Posts: 3,076
Country:

Gender:
Default

Good luck with this....Wish I could see you fight. Maybe one day we'll see you on the T.V...
TALO is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
hrdgain81
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
hrdgain81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,715

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinPieceDave667 View Post
Oh and there were and are some bugs. Just as a preview, I did try 1 of the Strength Endurance workouts a week ago and I overshot my starting weight A LOT. I didn't hurt myself it was just very different than other lifts I've done. Doing 20 singles with 50 secs. rest of Clean and Press then 20 singles with 50 secs. rest of A2G squats is a pain very different than what I was use to. I had to adjust the Clean weight once and the squat weight 4 times. And Kettlebell has been kicking my ass hard.
You'll get it all worked out, just like anything else start liberally with the wieghts and work up.
hrdgain81 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
ChinPieceDave667
Rank: Middleweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
ChinPieceDave667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 7th layer.. or DC.
Posts: 2,329
Country:

Gender:
Default

Tuesday's Workout



A2G Squats: 5x5 @ 285
BB Bench: 5x5 @ 235
JS Rows: [1x5] @ 165, 170, 175, 180, 185
Ez Curl Bar Skullcrushers: 3x8 @ 80

Abs: 20 min. class

PM Training: 3 hours MMA

OVERVIEW
Couldn't lift on Monday because I was at work till 2:00 AM trying to get stuff done for my dead lines. So I'm going to workout on Thursday and Saturday will be light KettleBell work which is always fun.

Right before I lifted my girlfriend asked me if I wanted to take an "Abs class" with her so I figured, "What the hell, I need to work on abs and it would be a nice change of pace." I'm hooked, it was a great class and it was hard to do a lot of the different balancing exercises to use the core stabilizers. This will be great for squat and deads.
My numbers are ok to say the least. My strength didn't all go away from not being consistent with my workouts the past month and the massive amount of cardio and plyometrics I do at MMA classes which brings me to my next topic.

For the DF 5x5, when you are on the 5x5 cycle, they have you do front squats to start off the 2nd day of the workout. Now this workout regiment is very taxing alone and with my doing this on top of Training, I do TONS of leg work, plyometric exercises: zig-zag jumping, squats for time, squat jumps, squat kicks, lunges, mountain climber, the list goes on. This worries me that I might over train my legs because in the past, when I've tried to do this at the same time I started Training more, my legs seem to give out quicker. So I might scale down the weight and sets first and see how I respond. If anything I might take it out completely. Well see what happens this week and next week.
ChinPieceDave667 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
hrdgain81
Rank: Light Heavyweight
Experience: 5-7 Years
 
hrdgain81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,715

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinPieceDave667 View Post
Tuesday's Workout



A2G Squats: 5x5 @ 285
BB Bench: 5x5 @ 235
JS Rows: [1x5] @ 165, 170, 175, 180, 185
Ez Curl Bar Skullcrushers: 3x8 @ 80

Abs: 20 min. class

PM Training: 3 hours MMA

OVERVIEW
Couldn't lift on Monday because I was at work till 2:00 AM trying to get stuff done for my dead lines. So I'm going to workout on Thursday and Saturday will be light KettleBell work which is always fun.

Right before I lifted my girlfriend asked me if I wanted to take an "Abs class" with her so I figured What the hell, I need to work on abs and it would be a nice change of pace." I'm hooked, it was a great class and it was hard to do a lot of the different balancing exercises to use the core stabilizers. This will be great for squat and deads.
My numbers are ok to say the least. My strength didn't all go away from not being consistent with my workouts the past month and the massive amount of cardio and plyometrics I do at MMA classes which brings me to my next topic.

For the DF 5x5, when you are on the 5x5 cycle, they have you do front squats to start off the 2nd day of the workout. Now this workout regiment is very taxing alone and with my doing this on top of Training, I do TONS of leg work, plyometric exercises: zig-zag jumping, squats for time, squat jumps, squat kicks, lunges, mountain climber, the list goes on. This worries me that I might over train my legs because in the past, when I've tried to do this at the same time I started Training more, my legs seem to give out quicker. So I might scale down the weight and sets first and see how I respond. If anything I might take it out completely. Well see what happens this week and next week.
I would say that since your in your volume stage, it shouldnt be an issue to knock the front squats down a bit. If it were the intensity phase I would disagree, but it shouldnt be a problem here.

Good numbers on the 5x5 kid, keep it up.
hrdgain81 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
widdoes2504
Rank: Lightweight
Experience: 10+ Years
 
widdoes2504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,357
Country:

Gender:
Default

I agree that cutting back on the front squats shouldn't be an issue. Very good numbers on the 5x5 bench and keep up the good work.

widdoes2504's Sig:Height: 6 foot
Weight: 240 pounds

Bench: 415 (1x1)
Deads: 565 (1x1)
A2G Squat: 425 (1x1)

Cardio sucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
widdoes2504 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Bodybuilding Forum - Bodybuilding.net > Members Section > Personal Journals


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.