Go Back   Bodybuilding.net - Bodybuilding Forum > >


hunt0r's Starting Strength journal



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-05-2007, 12:24 PM
hunt0r's Avatar
hunt0r hunt0r is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 305
Send a message via AIM to hunt0r
Default hunt0r's Starting Strength journal

So I have decided to change my workout routine and I have been researching these forums and I think this one sounds like the best match for me. I plan on starting it on Monday, but I am not sure what weight to start at on some of the lifts. For example on bench press I am supposed to do 3 sets of 5 reps of the same weight. If I can do a max of 275lbs x 3 what weight should I do for my 3 sets of 5? I was thinking of starting out at 225lbs. And then I need to figure out how much to start off doing on squats, but that wont be too hard considering I will be doing ATG form I will be going really light. Here is what I have come up with for Monday. Let me know what you guys think.

Workout A
3x5 Squat (ATG) - 135 lbs
3x5 Bench Press - 225 lbs
1x5 Deadlift - 135 lbs
2x10 Dips - 25lbs
2x10 Chinups

Workout B
3x5 Squat (ATG) - 140 lbs
3x5 Standing military press - 95 lbs
3x5 Bent Rows - 135 lbs
2x10 Dips - 25 lbs
2x10 Chinups

Ab work: Decline sit-ups (1x55), Vertical Leg Raise (1x25), Rope-Crunches (1x25), Dumbbell Side Bends (1x20)

Saturday - Cardio
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Workout A + Abs
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - Workout B + Abs
Thursday - Cardio
Friday - Workout A + Abs

Supplements: ON 100% Whey Protein, Bulk Nutrition Creatine Ethyl Ester
__________________
"You can succeed if nobody else believes it, but you will never succeed if you don't believe in yourself."
-William J.H. Boetcker

22 yrs old
6'3 220lbs
Goals: Add lean mass and cut body fat.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-06-2007, 02:32 PM
ph0bia. ph0bia. is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 92
Default

I'm on the same program. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2007, 06:11 AM
widdoes2504's Avatar
widdoes2504 widdoes2504 is offline
Rank: Lightweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,357
Default

The program looks good but why only 1x5 for deads instead of 3x5? On the other hand I agree to start off light to get a feel for the program and add from there.
__________________
Height: 6 foot
Weight: 240 pounds

Bench: 415 (1x1)
Deads: 565 (1x1)
A2G Squat: 425 (1x1)

Cardio sucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 AM
hunt0r's Avatar
hunt0r hunt0r is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 305
Send a message via AIM to hunt0r
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdoes2504 View Post
The program looks good but why only 1x5 for deads instead of 3x5? On the other hand I agree to start off light to get a feel for the program and add from there.
I'm not sure why it calls for just one set, but I got the information from this site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm

And I printed out the workout logs and it only calls for 1 set of deads. Maybe I should bump that up to 3 sets?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2007, 05:59 AM
hunt0r's Avatar
hunt0r hunt0r is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 305
Send a message via AIM to hunt0r
Default

Well I had plans of starting this program on Monday, but I injured my back over the weekend and it is still bothering me. I have heard that lower back pain comes with this routine and I dont want to go into it without being 100%. Plus I had to do PT after work on Monday so I figure I will just hit cardio up real hard all week and rest my back up and go into this strong on Monday.

Anyways I was pissed cause I wanted to go into this full steam this week!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
EricT EricT is offline
Rank: Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,314
Default

1x5 deads is appropriate. Deads are the most demanding metabolically. It is best to keep it down at first. It is how Rippetoe himself recommends. Later on a set or two can be added if recovery has improved enough.

The problem with more deadlifts is the way the volume is distributed. You'd have workout A being a whole lot more demanding than workout B which would be inappropriate for this program. BTW, I don't see how someone doing 135 on deads is going to turn around and do 135 on rows for 3 sets. It seems off. I understand about the squats if you are not used to A2G but for the rows it seems like a lot.

Just pick light to moderate weights on everything as Widdoes said(it should seem fairly easy at first) and go from there. Trying to find some perfect starting weight the first time you do this program just won't make a difference. On the other hand, screwing up and starting too heavy will ruin it. There is no real disadvantage to starting too light other than time spent accumulating (which can lead to MORE progress down the road).

Once you have gotten everything you can out of this and it is time for a new type of program then it will be more important to pick the appropriate strarting weights simply because you wouldn't want intensity to fall off too much.

Good luck on your injury and the program.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


If you act sanctimonious I will just list out your logical fallacies until you get pissed off and spew blasphemous remarks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 PM
hunt0r's Avatar
hunt0r hunt0r is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 305
Send a message via AIM to hunt0r
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3237 View Post
1x5 deads is appropriate. Deads are the most demanding metabolically. It is best to keep it down at first. It is how Rippetoe himself recommends. Later on a set or two can be added if recovery has improved enough.

The problem with more deadlifts is the way the volume is distributed. You'd have workout A being a whole lot more demanding than workout B which would be inappropriate for this program. BTW, I don't see how someone doing 135 on deads is going to turn around and do 135 on rows for 3 sets. It seems off. I understand about the squats if you are not used to A2G but for the rows it seems like a lot.

Just pick light to moderate weights on everything as Widdoes said(it should seem fairly easy at first) and go from there. Trying to find some perfect starting weight the first time you do this program just won't make a difference. On the other hand, screwing up and starting too heavy will ruin it. There is no real disadvantage to starting too light other than time spent accumulating (which can lead to MORE progress down the road).

Once you have gotten everything you can out of this and it is time for a new type of program then it will be more important to pick the appropriate strarting weights simply because you wouldn't want intensity to fall off too much.

Good luck on your injury and the program.

Thanks for your insight on this Eric I appreciate it. As for the rows being high, I have been doing rows as part of my workout for awhile now and thought that I could handle that weight. After some reconsideration I have decided to lower that weight a little and ease my way into the new routine and find the right weight for me. I am thinking about purchasing Rippetoe's books also off Amazon.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2007, 05:22 PM
hunt0r's Avatar
hunt0r hunt0r is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 305
Send a message via AIM to hunt0r
Default

Well I officially started the workout today and it was a really good workout. I thought I was going to struggle more with the ATG squats because I have never done them, but they felt very solid. Only thing that is iffy would be the deadlifts...I still got to work on proper form so im stickin light.

Workout A
3x5 Squat (ATG) - 135 lbs
3x5 Bench Press - 225 lbs
1x5 Deadlift - 135 lbs
2x20 Dips - bodyweight

Ab work: Decline sit-ups (1x55), Vertical Leg Raise (1x25), Dumbbell Side Bends (1x20)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Boondock Boondock is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 58
Default

When I started this program my bench press was also more then my squat and DL because I had never really done them B4. The good thing though is that If you keep at it your squat will naturally pass your bench since youll be squating 3 times a week. Ive also been able to make larger weight increases in my DL, ive been doing 5 - 10 -5 -10 - 5 etc. increases and now my DL is getting up there also.

I'm three weeks in and this program has been working for me.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 AM
hunt0r's Avatar
hunt0r hunt0r is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 305
Send a message via AIM to hunt0r
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
When I started this program my bench press was also more then my squat and DL because I had never really done them B4. The good thing though is that If you keep at it your squat will naturally pass your bench since youll be squating 3 times a week. Ive also been able to make larger weight increases in my DL, ive been doing 5 - 10 -5 -10 - 5 etc. increases and now my DL is getting up there also.

I'm three weeks in and this program has been working for me.

Good luck
When you say "5 - 10 - 5 - 10 - 5" do you mean you went up each workout by 5lbs then 10lbs then 5lbs? Because that is a question I had with this workout, I thought I was suppose to increase each of my lifts by 2.5lbs each workout??
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Bodybuilding.net - Bodybuilding Forum > >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes



 



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.