Originally Posted by Eric3237
Second time you've taken an attitude with me. What I stated is just a basic fact. I'll stay out of your journal. It's your loss.
If it's joking you don't know me well enough to take such liberties.
Thanks, this IS a journal, right? I'll learn all I need to learn about the art of bodybuilding in time, but that's also the second time that I've viewed your comments more along the lines of trying to destroy my motivation than constructive criticism. Yes, it's true that certain workouts are printed in magazines purely to sell the magazines because they promote "beach muscles," but beach muscles are still muscles and I read all I can about kinesiology, physiology, timing of nutrition, the latest published scientific research on supplements and/or training techniques, other people's ideas (in real life and online) about their training philosophies who are more advanced than me, the latest published books on fitness, workouts that pro bodybuilders use, etc.
of course it is a basic fact that the first week or two of weight training will cause your body to adapt to the new stress forced upon it, but you gotta know that I come from a competitive tennis background, meaning I'm not new to working out, just new to lifting weights. I used to do pushups, pullups, crunches, etc. (bodyweight exercises) then just moved into weight lifting and stopped playing tennis. Thank you so much for your consideration of deciding to stop posting in my journal, if there's ever a question I want answered I will post one and ask specifically for you to answer it.
"If it's joking you don't know me well enough to take such liberties"
wtf??? you posted in MY ONLINE JOURNAL! Keep in perspective that this is more like notes to myself more than questions to be answered (with the exception of getting my training split right). personally, I'd like to look back on this journal to see how far I've come since I began lifting. Yes, it was meant to be a joke. No, I couldn't care less about earning "liberties" to worry about how my comments online affect you. Sorry if I hurt whatever feelings you have, but don't ever post in someone's journal except if it's constructive criticism or something positive.
"When you're first starting out just about anything should work well for you providing your diet is adequate."
"This is just more of the same shit you always see in those mags with a different name. When you're just beginning, your "priority" should be the big multi-joint (compound) movements for TOTAL body growth. These magazine write stuff like that cuz it sells. People want to do 'beach' work so they give them what they want.
You say prioritize and 90% of your weekend warriors are going to prioritize arms, the same way people always have first starting out. You tell people what they want to hear and they'll buy more mags"
1. I'm not a "weekend warrior" I train 5 days a week with cardio every other day at 70% MHR and a maximum of 45 minutes
2. Anything working well starting out should be motivational; then ask how to break plateaus
3. I had to begin prioritizing something, I just picked my weakest area: arms. Would you have been more satisfied if I chose to prioritize my hamstrings?
4. I still make multi-joint (compound) movements my staple exercises in every workout
5. "Beach muscles" such as arms still need to be huge, symmetrical, proportional (relative to the rest of your body), and have awesome muscle separation and striations to win shows
6. I'm not in this for the short term, I'm doing my best to grow proportionately throughout my life. Think about it: when your arms are proportionately SMALL relative to the rest of your body, wtf do you think should be the focus of your workouts? I don't know about you, but I don't feel like having (exaggerated numbers) 100 inch thighs and 13 inch arms
I don't think I'm gonna post in this forum again, I'll just browse the posts. I don't feel like having to explain myself in my own journal, I'm sure other beginners who have questions will post the questions I have, too and mature users such as 0311, Kane, etc. will post answers I seek.
(as if I'll be missed, I only have 16 posts as of this last post)