Go Back   Bodybuilding.net - Bodybuilding Forum > >


Creatine before or after workout?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2005, 04:51 PM
DrInsane's Avatar
DrInsane DrInsane is offline
Rank: New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 18
Default Creatine before or after workout?

Hey folks,

Should I take creatine before or after a workout? If it's after a workout, then is it okay to take it with a protein shake?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Darkhorse Darkhorse is offline
Rank: Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 4,174
Send a message via Yahoo to Darkhorse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrInsane
Hey folks,

Should I take creatine before or after a workout? If it's after a workout, then is it okay to take it with a protein shake?
I take 5 grams creatine with my preworkout shake and 10 grams after. I'm 250 lbs so 15 grams is best for me. If you're hovering around 180 or 200 then 10 grams is more than enough. When you take creatine it is best to use it in conjunction with carbs or dextrose or both. My preworkout shake has 50% maltodextrin and 50% dextrose. If your postworkout shake is just protein w/out any carbs, I'd then suggest mixing it with some grape or apple juice. After that take your protein.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I can be found at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Smokey Bear 393's Avatar
Smokey Bear 393 Smokey Bear 393 is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 60
Default

I take it before, and after workout. I usually take 5 grams with sunny d (I've got two kids, so it's usually in supply ) prior to lifting weights, and another 5 grams after with my protein shake. During my workout, I try to consume a large amount of water.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2005, 10:43 AM
GuardDog's Avatar
GuardDog GuardDog is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 343
Default

I thought that once you have creatine loaded in your system, then it didn't matter as far as timing, just as long as you continued to take it. I however do mix it in with my shakes for convenience.
__________________
Stats: 340y/o, 7'5", 2250lbs, 4% bf, meso-endomorph. Working out and taking supps since the dawn of time.

Disclaimer: I am not real. I am a player on a virtual world rotating through cyberspace. Any information I give is based off of science fiction and not meant to be taken literally. I do not know anyone that uses, condones the use, or knows where to get anything against the laws of our governments.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Darkhorse Darkhorse is offline
Rank: Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 4,174
Send a message via Yahoo to Darkhorse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardDog
I thought that once you have creatine loaded in your system, then it didn't matter as far as timing, just as long as you continued to take it. I however do mix it in with my shakes for convenience.
Not really. I agree that your muscles are saturated with creatine after the loading phase. But, taking creatine immediately after you workout will benefit you tremendously. That's like saying you'll take protein throughout the day as long as you hit 200 grams. Your body is like a sponge after a hard workout. Because of it's depleted state, it'll be at it's most efficient state of absorbtion postworkout. The creatine will directly get uploaded into your worked muscles super-saturating them with it further enhancing recovery and growth. Plus, a thousand scientists can't be wrong...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2005, 02:16 PM
GuardDog's Avatar
GuardDog GuardDog is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0311
Not really. I agree that your muscles are saturated with creatine after the loading phase. But, taking creatine immediately after you workout will benefit you tremendously. That's like saying you'll take protein throughout the day as long as you hit 200 grams. Your body is like a sponge after a hard workout. Because of it's depleted state, it'll be at it's most efficient state of absorbtion postworkout. The creatine will directly get uploaded into your worked muscles super-saturating them with it further enhancing recovery and growth. Plus, a thousand scientists can't be wrong...
I knew about protein and timing. I just thought there was a reason for the normal CM 1 week loading phase to supersaturate the cells and then followed up by the daily intake of 10+g to keep them saturated. I guess it is a good thing that I mixed it in my protein shake then.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Dr X's Avatar
Dr X Dr X is offline
Rank: Lightweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in the deep recesses of your mind
Posts: 1,094
Default

I add it in my pre and post shakes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2005, 03:14 PM
hrdgain81's Avatar
hrdgain81 hrdgain81 is offline
Rank: Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,715
Default

I take it before, durring and after. With respect to timing once i've hit the gym hard your muscles will soak the creatine up just like it does glycogen.

0311, why do you take in so much man. thats an insane amount of creatine even for someone your size. I'm not telling you not to, but have you tried to do less? I've been told by several doctors that once your muscles are saturated, anything over 3gr ed is just getting pissed out.
__________________
I don't do this for my family, my friends, women, accolades, pride, or ego. I do it for me and no one else, its just part of who I am.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Darkhorse Darkhorse is offline
Rank: Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 4,174
Send a message via Yahoo to Darkhorse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdgain81
I take it before, durring and after. With respect to timing once i've hit the gym hard your muscles will soak the creatine up just like it does glycogen.

0311, why do you take in so much man. thats an insane amount of creatine even for someone your size. I'm not telling you not to, but have you tried to do less? I've been told by several doctors that once your muscles are saturated, anything over 3gr ed is just getting pissed out.
Nope, the optimal amount of regular creatine is 10-15 grams per day. 3 grams is cee.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2005, 06:18 AM
hrdgain81's Avatar
hrdgain81 hrdgain81 is offline
Rank: Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Nope, the optimal amount of regular creatine is 10-15 grams per day. 3 grams is cee.
where did you get this info from?
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Bodybuilding.net - Bodybuilding Forum > >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes



 



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.