Go Back   Bodybuilding.net - Bodybuilding Forum > >


Neck pain after squating?



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Jonson Jonson is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Essex
Posts: 209
Default Neck pain after squating?

The last couple of workouts ive done, Ive had mild neck pain in the left side of my neck, around the collar bone area, which lasts a couple of days. the pain starts after squatting my neck feels stiff like I have pulled it.
Im convinced this is due to how I hold the bar, i use a narrow grip just like Rip reccomends in starting strength, lately this feels very uncomfortable.
Should I use a wider grip? or maybe a device like the Dave Draper top squat is whats needed?
Any advice please anyone?
Thanks Jonson
  #2  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Frontline's Avatar
Frontline Frontline is offline
Administrator
Rank: Lightweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,404
Default

Where are you positioning the bar? High position (base of the neck) or lower position? (example of bar position: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glen23.htm)

It could be a few things depending on where you position it, few ideas that come to my mind is leaning forward under the weight causing unnecessary strain on your neck as you try to correct your position. Also your grip might be too narrow so you don't have the best control of the weight causing the stress on your neck.

Quote:
i use a narrow grip just like Rip reccomends in starting strength, lately this feels very uncomfortable.
When it comes to squats I recommend not trying to fit into a recommended grip, simply position your hands in a way that you feel gives you the best control of the weight throughout the squat movement.
  #3  
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
gymrat2321 gymrat2321 is offline
Rank: New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 26
Default

my step dad had the same problem. try using the smith machine for your squats
  #4  
Old 01-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Jonson Jonson is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Essex
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy View Post
Where are you positioning the bar? High position (base of the neck) or lower position? (example of bar position: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glen23.htm)

It could be a few things depending on where you position it, few ideas that come to my mind is leaning forward under the weight causing unnecessary strain on your neck as you try to correct your position. Also your grip might be too narrow so you don't have the best control of the weight causing the stress on your neck.

When it comes to squats I recommend not trying to fit into a recommended grip, simply position your hands in a way that you feel gives you the best control of the weight throughout the squat movement.
Hi sleazy
I have the bar in a low position on the rear delts, I have experimented with widths of grip and have found the narrow one to be the best for control, I have tape on the barbell so I get my hands and bar in the same position every time.
I will experiment further and see if I can find a more comfortable position.

Thanks Jonson
  #5  
Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Jonson Jonson is offline
Rank: Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Essex
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat2321 View Post
my step dad had the same problem. try using the smith machine for your squats
Smith machine? Thanks for the suggestion but I dont own one, and after some of the nightmare stories I have heard about them I would not ever use one.
  #6  
Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 PM
iron_worker's Avatar
iron_worker iron_worker is offline
Rank: Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,272
Send a message via MSN to iron_worker
Default

Ya the smith machine is a totally different movement all together. Don't bother. As for your neck pain, I agree it could be you're leaning forward too much at the bottom. Possibly cause you're ROM isn't quite there and you're simulating depth by leaning forward. These are all guesses btw, but I think it makes somewhat of sense.

Not to hijack but I've been experiencing mild numbness lately in my hands/arms after I squat.... wtf..
Closed Thread

  Bodybuilding.net - Bodybuilding Forum > >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes



 



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.