Go Back   Bodybuilding.net - Bodybuilding Forum > >


problem with biceps and triceps...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-27-2006, 05:19 PM
ebabbitt69 ebabbitt69 is offline
Rank: New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: clinton twp. michigan
Posts: 2
Send a message via AIM to ebabbitt69
Angry problem with biceps and triceps...

My problem is that I used to be a very avid bowler for about 5 years. I quit about two years ago, but because of this, my right arm is MUCH stronger, bigger, and cut that my left arm. I've tried about everything I can to make up for this and/or try and correct it with no success. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I should do because this has become VERY frustrating for me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Darkhorse Darkhorse is offline
Rank: Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 4,174
Send a message via Yahoo to Darkhorse
Default

Quote:
I've tried about everything I can to make up for this and/or try and correct it with no success.
Like what? Have you tried to use a measuring tape because your eyes are usually way off. That's the same as trying to guesstimate bodyfat levels by looking in the mirror.

Over time it should correct itself as long as you continue lifting. If you're curling 40 lb dumbbells with both hands for sets of whatever, your arm will catch back up to the other. I recommend doing barbell curls or ez bar curls..Anything that uses both hands at once. Reason being because if you load up the bar with 'X' amount of weight..Your weaker/smaller arm will have no choice but to keep up with the bigger one. It should iron itself out.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I can be found at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Kane's Avatar
Kane Kane is offline
Rank: Middleweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,238
Default

I agree with 0311. When I worked in a shop my right arm got bigger than my left by half an inch, because I turned wrenches all day with my right arm. I did exactly what he suggested, use a barbell or ez bar, and they are both the same size. It took a couple months to even them out if I remember correctly.
__________________
"Pain don't hurt" - Dalton

"NO, this is my squat rack. Go get your own!"

"Damn that's shit heavy" - Wolf


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Dr X's Avatar
Dr X Dr X is offline
Rank: Lightweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in the deep recesses of your mind
Posts: 1,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0311
Like what? Have you tried to use a measuring tape because your eyes are usually way off. That's the same as trying to guesstimate bodyfat levels by looking in the mirror.

Over time it should correct itself as long as you continue lifting. If you're curling 40 lb dumbbells with both hands for sets of whatever, your arm will catch back up to the other. I recommend doing barbell curls or ez bar curls..Anything that uses both hands at once. Reason being because if you load up the bar with 'X' amount of weight..Your weaker/smaller arm will have no choice but to keep up with the bigger one. It should iron itself out.
Yep and I have lived it. Your body has no choice but to even its self out. I once broke my arm in a major accident and lost use of it for a year. It rebounded once I started lifting again even tho it was much smaller and weaker after alll that time. It really dosen't matter what excercise you do. Even dumbells are fine if you are using the same weight. It still has to work. I bet if you measured your arms they would only vary by 1/4"
__________________
The Fool say in his heart "There is no God"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-28-2006, 07:59 AM
BG5150's Avatar
BG5150 BG5150 is offline
Rank: Bantamweight
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 873
Send a message via AIM to BG5150
Default

Do more chinups and pullups. No way you're gonna overcompensate doing those.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-28-2006, 08:10 AM
_Wolf_'s Avatar
_Wolf_ _Wolf_ is offline
Rank: Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,793
Send a message via MSN to _Wolf_
Default

actually brad is right...

doing bigger compound lifts WILL increase your arm size and force them to "even out"...

just because they're small/big doesnt necessarily mean that you have to specialize in arms...!

however, i must say... that by doing compound lifts your arms might not become "strong"... BUT: they will definitely become "bigger"...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Kane's Avatar
Kane Kane is offline
Rank: Middleweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj247
doing bigger compound lifts WILL increase your arm size and force them to "even out"...
BB curls is a compound and not everyone can do sets and sets of chin-ups (I can..but I don't weigh anything )

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj247
however, i must say... that by doing compound lifts your arms might not become "strong"... BUT: they will definitely become "bigger"...
it all depends on how you train. You can do a 5x5 with compounds and get crazy strength...but by the same token, you can do a hypertophy program with compounds and get lots of size....compounds and isolations don't dictate gains...intensity, frequency, rep range, etc. dictate gains
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-28-2006, 02:22 PM
EricT EricT is offline
Rank: Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
BB curls is a compound
By definition, a compound is a multi-joint movement. Count the joints involved in BB curls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
You can do a 5x5 with compounds and get crazy strength...but by the same token, you can do a hypertophy program with compounds
You can get strength and hypertrophy from a 5x5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
compounds and isolations don't dictate gains...intensity, frequency, rep range, etc. dictate gains
Second part right...first part wrong. Take squats and leg extensions...or, hell, better yet, take squats and compare them to leg extensions and leg curls done together (both isolation movements). Using the same intensity (% of 1 RM), the same frequency and rep range, etc., which is going to give you bigger legs (and a bigger body)? Squats, of course.

Also when we talk about compounds that involve the arms, everybody seems to forget about triceps. Why do people prefer shoulder presses overall instead of, say, lateral raises? And benching over db flyes? A compound, or multi-joint movement stimulates more muscle overall in a given session, resulting in greater gains, without doing set after set after set after....

Compounds allow your body to function as a unit. They realease more growth hormone. And of course they make you strong depending on how you train. Form follows function. You want to be strong, you have to be strong all over. And, frankly, having a super strong bicep curl doesn't do jack shit for you if you're weak every where else.

I really think, however, that the need to do or not do additional isolations depends on the program and the individual. They are COMPLEMENTARY. But I don't think that compounds should ever be replaced with isolations, unless your going for a John Basedow look.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


If you act sanctimonious I will just list out your logical fallacies until you get pissed off and spew blasphemous remarks.

Last edited by EricT; 02-28-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 PM
_Wolf_'s Avatar
_Wolf_ _Wolf_ is offline
Rank: Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,793
Send a message via MSN to _Wolf_
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3237
Take squats and leg extensions...or, hell, better yet, take squats and compare them to leg extensions and leg curls done together (both isolation movements). Using the same intensity (% of 1 RM), the same frequency and rep range, etc., which is going to give you bigger legs (and a bigger body)? Squats, of course.

Also when we talk about compounds that involve the arms, everybody seems to forget about triceps. Why do people prefer shoulder presses overall instead of, say, lateral raises? And benching over db flyes? A compound, or multi-joint movement stimulates more muscle overall in a given session, resulting in greater gains, without doing set after set after set after....

Compounds allow your body to function as a unit.
thats what i was trying to say but dint really know how to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3237
They realease more growth hormone.
i dint know that... wait is t a growth hormone...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3237
I really think, however, that the need to do or not do additional isolations depends on the program and the individual. They are COMPLEMENTARY. But I don't think that compounds should ever be replaced with isolations, unless your going for a John Basedow look.
i agree 100% with this bit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3237
By definition, a compound is a multi-joint movement. Count the joints involved in BB curls.
1

therefore, its NOT a compound lift...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Kane's Avatar
Kane Kane is offline
Rank: Middleweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3237
By definition, a compound is a multi-joint movement. Count the joints involved in BB curls.
ok my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3237
You can get strength and hypertrophy from a 5x5.
I'm aware...the original post said:

Originally Posted by anuj247
however, i must say... that by doing compound lifts your arms might not become "strong"... BUT: they will definitely become "bigger"...

I was trying to say that you can do compounds and gain mostly strength and you can also do compounds and gain mostly size and yes, there is a middle ground where you can gain both, but I was illustrating the two extremes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3237
Second part right...first part wrong.
Again poorly worded...what I was trying to get across was; you can do any exercise in the world, but if you dont have the correct intensity, frequency, rep range, etc. then you won't see gains.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Bodybuilding.net - Bodybuilding Forum > >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes



 



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.