I've had some success with carb depletion diets, a few tips from my experience:
- This might be good reading > http://www.scivationbooks.com/books/chadiet/CHA%202.pdf
-The carb loading phase is fun. You get to eat alot of things you normally wouldnt eat in amounts you normally wouldnt eat. Enjoy it. But try to avoid eating fats while carb loading.
-The keto diet phase is also kinda fun. Again, you get to eat things you probably wouldnt normally eat. Enjoy a nice fatty NY strip steak, chicken wings or a juicy 80/20 burger (no bun ofcourse).
- Dont just watch what you eat, watch how you eat it. Ketsup, other condiments, dressings, even marinades count. They can be enough to blow you out of keto.
- Spread them out... If you're trying to keep under 30g carbs per day dont eat them all in one meal. Try to keep all meals under 5g and try to keep any carbs near the time of your workouts.
- L-Glutamine...Protect your muscles.
- Get into Keto fast. I ran my loading phase from saturday AM to sunday mid day. I followed up with an intense workout sunday PM and monday AM (split). Throw in some cardio and youll be in keto by tuesday AM.
- Your first two workouts after your load up are most important. This might be your only chance to be productive. You dont need to gain strength while on this diet but you definately dont want to lose strength.